COLLEGE NEWS FROM THE NEWSWEEK

MBAU Admin
Administrator
http://www.newsweek.com/id/235921

"Of course, my case crumbles if you want to, say, go to medical school. Or be an engineer. Or be a nurse. In that case, you're pretty much bound to studying chemistry, physics, or biology. It would be absurd to suggest that studying poststructuralist French literary theory (which is what I did, and the wisdom of that exact decision is for another discussion) would make you a great neurosurgeon. It wouldn't. But the vast majority of professional fields—from the law, to the military, to writing, to academics, to teaching, to hospitality, to administration, to management, to business, the list goes on and on—can be had with a strong, foundational, liberal-arts degree.

When being tried for his life, Socrates offered up a defense of philosophy by declaring that, "the unexamined life is not worth living." Who would disagree with that? But more importantly, being able to engage others intelligently about art, music, and politics may actually make you an enjoyable person to be around. I'm not suggesting that all computer science or physics majors are bores. I mean, Google founder Sergey Brin is unquestionably on my top-five-people-to-have-dinner-with list. But even in this relentlessly digital age, there's much to be said about learning about what it means to be human. And yes, that can indeed get you a good job."